While many emergencies could occur within the Town of Spanish the most likely to occur are: severe storms, floods, air or rail crashes, toxic or flammable gas leaks, transportation accidents involving hazardous materials, electrical power blackouts, uncontrollable fires, explosions, or any combination thereof.
ARE YOU PREPARED?
Build an Emergency Kit
Your emergency survival kit should have everything you need to be safe and take care of yourself and your family for at least three days. This checklist outlines all the essentials, items to meet your unique needs, and items to have ready in case you have to leave your home.
What to Put in Your Emergency Kit
- Food & can opener (non-perishable and easy-to-prepare items, enough for 3 days)
- Water (4 litres per person for each day)
- Radio (crank or battery-run)
- Extra batteries
- Hand sanitizer or moist towelettes
- First-aid kit
- Important papers (identification, contact lists, copies of prescriptions, etc.)
- Cash (and extra car keys)
- Whistle (to attract attention, if needed)
- Medical supplies and equipment (cane, walker, hearing aid and batteries, breathing device, etc.)
- Prescription eyewear and footwear
- Dentures and supplies
- Pet food and supplies if you have a pet
Extra Supplies for Evacuation
- Clothes, shoes
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Personal items (soap, toothpaste, other toiletries)
- Playing cards or travel game
- Place all these items in an easy-to-carry bag or case on wheels.
- Keep your emergency survival kit in a place that is easy to reach.
- Keep your cell phone or mobile device fully charged.
Need more information?
General Emergency Preparedness Information:
Information on Signing Up for Alerts and Warnings:
What to do in a Flood:
What to do in a Severe Storm:
What to do in a Power Outage: